Sunday 11 October 2009

Sunday 11 October. Bring on the night

It's been a really good week this week for training, if nothing else. I stepped it up a little and felt pretty good. This week I started training twice a day. Not every day, but I've started to add a couple of short evening road runs after a early fellrun. I've really enjoyed them, running fast (well, ish) on heavy legs is quite exhilerating, provided the road run isn't too long.

As well as the two hill days described in the previous entry, which were brilliant days out, I did some good faster running on the hills and feel like the fitness level is moving up a notch. My Moel y Gamelin route, an out and back along a lovely ridge which takes in 3000' climbing and about 8 miles went well this week - i ran it faster than ever before - 1 hour 23 mins, faster even than my pre-BGR 2007 days.

Not that i'm fitter than then, not yet. I've been getting in well over 10,000'/wk (over 16,000' this week) but my longest day so far has been 7.5 hours and all during daylight.

It's time for night runs. And for some super long outings... If I can squeeze them in. It's round about now that the training has start to becoming specific to this round, 16 hours of darkness and all that.

I'm quite excited about it....

Week summary:

Mon - 8M 3000' Moel y Gamelin ridge in record time - 1:23:54
Tues - 2500', 6M - Gamelin reps
Weds - Seathwaite round - 6000' (see previous posting)
Thurs - BGR leg 1 - 5500'
Fri, Sat, Sun - wedding, away

Totals - 17,000' 50 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment