Sunday 16 August 2009

Sunday 16 August. I think I'm getting fitter?

Over the last week I've done 5 runs and climbed a total of 11,400', meaning that's three weeks of over 11,000' of climbing. I don't feel any fitter though, there's no obvious evidence that i'm getting anything out of this. Those I run with have only ever seen me running knackered. My times on familiar routes are nothing to write home about and i feel sluggish and slow.

That's probably because all my runs are sluggish and slow, with little quality. Now you're not really supposed to do quality work when biulding up for a round, and improvements are supposed to come slowly but very surely, but i;ve had months of frustratingly slow running i'd love to see some improvements soon.

This coming week i'm going to still focus on getting the climbing in. I remember during my summer round being thankful during legs 4 and 5 that I was climbing so well and that i'd done so much climbing in my training. I mustn't forget that because it really is the bedrock of a mountain round. But i'm also going to run harder. Usually, i consider the 'big' day to be the most important run of the week. This week, i'll still go long on one or maybe two days, but i'm going to hit one of my shorter fellruns hard and see just whatshape i'm in.

I'll focus on my regular moel famau run which climbs the hill twice and does quite a bit of the summit ridge. I;ve done this run al three weeks and have clocked 1:34, 1:33 and 1:23. I've done this run before in 1:15. Let's see what i can do this week...

Week summary:

Monday - Moel Famau run, 1:23, felt ok, a bit tired 7M, 2300'
Tuesday - Moel y Gamelin ridge run, out and back 1:36. 9M 3000'
Weds - Tattenhall railways * 4, 1200' - really slow, felt shattered
Thursday - Club run, hilly efforts, only 400' or so. Also tired.
Fri - no running, swam 500m
Sat - Half Peris route in grim weather, very wet, 10M and 4500'
Sun - rest, much needed.

Total - 11,400' climbing, @42M

Tune in head - Queen - A kind of magic (shouldn't have watched 'Highlander'!)

No comments:

Post a Comment