Wednesday 5 August 2009

Sunday 2 August. Bringing it all back...

It's only taken one week of training to get back that contentment that only comes from being focussed on something and knackered.

This was been a tough week in many ways. It's first week of my 'gardening leave' that has seen me at home whilst the world goes to work. You can't help but feel a second class citizen. The shock of leaving the job so suddenly hit me hard and it's been tough to adjust. I shouldn't moan because I'm on full pay and i can't contractually start working again until November. They're paying me to train (oh, and keep the house in order, very much a secondary priority).

And train i did! My calves were very very tight from the Gritstone Tryal and were all week, meaning nothing was done at pace and I was forever wearing tubigrips and the like. But I got out there for 5 of the 7 days and clocked up 15,200 feet of ascent, including the mighty Borrowdale fell race.

This was my 5th Borrowdale and the one I'd prepared for the least. The months of very little training meant I was out of shape and low on confidence. My calves were still sore, even to walk on, so this was going to have to be a chance to get 6500' climbing in rather than to race well. And so it began, with my calf hurting from the first step. By the time I reached Esk Hause after 90 mins I was well down the field and people were passing me on the climbs. THe rougher ground of Scafell Pike went better as the Innov8 x-talons were terrific on the rocky stuff. THe calves finally loosened after 2 hours and although i was tired, i was able to speed up a little. I felt great at Honister and ended up finishing strongly, passing people who flew past me on the first climb. I ended up finishing in 4:27, which is equal to my previous best on that course. I was suprised at that and quite pleased until Pete, my clubmate, told me he came in an hour quicker (18th overall, a fantastic run). I was still pleased but my run was quite rightly overshadowed by Pete's superb outing.

Considering a low base, sore calves and that fact i'd already racked up 5,500' that week I was pleased. I think knowing the course helped, but all in all, a great race and a decent run. Perhaps I'm in a little better shape than I thought.

Week Summary:

Mon - 6 Tattenhall railways - 2000' ascent
Tues - Moel Famau *2 run - 2200' ascent, 1:34
Weds - Moel y Gamelin from Rhewl - just one rep as bracken was impossible - 1300'. Had some physio and accupuncture on calves that afternoon. Ouch!
Thurs and Fri - Rest - Sarah's (physio) orders.
Sat - Borrowdale, 17 miles, 6500;, 4:27
Sun - Helvellyn via Striding and Swirral Edges (Inc Catstycam), easy walk, 3200'

Total, @40 miles and 15,200' ascent

Tune in head (during Borrowdale) - Dignity by Deacon Blue, why?????

No comments:

Post a Comment