Monday 14 September 2009

Sunday 13 September. T'was a trial alright!

This week comprised of just three runs, all of which were extremely memorable but different reasons - one was short, wet, windy and 'orrible, one was quite long, laid back, warm and just lovely whilst the other was hot, marathon-esque (indeed it was 26 miles!), tense, difficult and stunningly beautiful.

After last week's Peris, I was a touch tired and took Monday off to allow a recovery for Tuesday's Wirral Multi-Terrain race at Wallasey. Despite being only four miles, it was a tough little nugget with a puddle-infused beach, plenty of rain and a strong wind. This was made tougher still by having clubmate Andy breathing down my neck and me enduring a strange sensation of wishng he would pass me so i could ease back whilst holding him off the best i could. I just about made it, showing that the speed has not totally deserted me!

I was busy wednesday but Thursday was a lovely day, out running with Steve and Sarah on the Howgills. The weather was perfect and we had a great day taking in about 13 miles and about 4500' on a shortened version of the Sedbergh Hills race. I believe the Howgills to be amongst the best running ground in the UK as far as i know and they did not disappoint that day...


The lovely Howgills


The lovely Howgills II


Then i decided to rest completely for the Lake District Mountain Trial on Sunday. I wanted to do well, and at an advertised distance of 16 miles (approx) and 7,000' ascent, i thought this to be an optimum distance for me - Peris-esque and in my beloved Lakes. I prepared accordingly and took what I considered to be the right amount of food and drink.

Well, they did say approximately! The route was a monster, brilliantly tough on a warm day. The route started and finished in Eskdale, but took in the catchments of Wasdale, Borrowdale, Langdale, Little Langdale and the Duddon Valley. It was 26 miles long and had between 8000 and 9000 feet of climbing in for most poeple (some took better routes with less climbing, but not numpty me, alas...).


Image of map - with controls taking in the slopes of the Scafells, Allen Crags/Glaramara, Bowfell, Crinkle Crags, Great Carrs, Harter Fell and Green Crag.

I started ok and had a strong middle section but ran out of gels and water and faded fast on the streamless ascent of Great Carrs. I bonked, as fellrunners say, and fought hard to crawl home over the last 2 hours. A chap from Horwich was as done in as me and togther we limped home, wondering why we were so tired. I think the LDMTA need to think about their marketing of the distance for this event to help people prepare. If i;d have suspected a 7.5 hour run and not, say, a 5 hour run, i'd have taken more food and been mentally ready. It was a great course, but took some adjusting to!

So i'm knackered again on a monday, which i like. I'm not so sore as all that, just heavy legged. Will get out on the bike in a bit and see how that goes. But with 13 weeks to go before the big day, I feel like i'm getting stronger by the week. With events like the Trial, it's hard not to.

Week summary - 13,000' ascent, 45 miles, 3 runs

Tune in Head - Tomorrow Never Knows, the Beatles (had a bit of a Revolver week actually)

No comments:

Post a Comment