Tuesday 1 September 2009

Sunday August 30. Stepping back.


The Cheviot and its many satellites - scene of this week's long day out

This week I realised that I was tired, moody and leg-weary. So i decided to have an easier week which resulted in just 9,100' ascent and more rest than usual. Hopefully that'll help me for two huge events that are looming - the Peris Horseshoe and the Lake District Mountain Trial. Both are big days out and under race conditions and so another tough week leading up to them would have surely pushed me towards injury and burn out?

So what better than a Long Distance Walking event so get some time and distance in without pushing too hard? An opportune visit to the inlaws in the north east meant i could jog round the Cheviot Challenge - 22 miles and apparently 4200' climb (i'm not convinced of the amount of climb). It was nice to explore a new area, pratice some navigation and be one of the first back (it was not a race though, i kept telling myself!).


Summit of boggy Bloodybush Edge


I feel like my legs needed the break. During my weekday runs i felt strong but tired and my instincts were saying to listen to my body. Peris on Saturday will tell me whether that worked or not...

Week summary:

Mon - Straight up MF, 16:30 - not bad, not quite as quick as last week but still good going. 4M 900'
Tues - 9M, 1900' - MF run from Cilcain, towards Loggerheads ascent and back along ridge - lovely run, felt sluggish
Weds - rest
Thursday - 5 railways on my own and then an 8M run with the club which had about 700' in it (inc another railway) 2100', 10M
Fri - Rest
Sat - Cheviot Challenge - a very easy paced 22M and 4200', 5,5 hours in the bogs!
Suj - rest

Total - 9100' ascent, 45Mish
Tune in Head - Superhuman Touch - Athlete

No comments:

Post a Comment