Sunday 20 September 2009

Sunday 20 September. Up, down, up, down, up, down, phew!


Pen Yr Ole Wen from Tryfan - the slope in profile was my big session this week, 2200 feet straight up times three...

As well as aiming to get the fabled 10,000' of climbing in each week, I like to ensure that at least half of that climbing is done in one session. So because time was pressing (I've seen a job to go for and wanted to get home and start preparing - hope at last?!), i wanted to do as much climbing in as short a time as possible. This means finding a big hill with an unremitting slope and getting up and down it. And so, on a fine Thursday, I drove to Ogwen and parked right opposite the stile gaining access to the Carneddau determined to get at least 6000' in. The direct route up Penyolewen (Hill of the Witches i think?) from Ogwen is a 2250' slog straight up and was perfect. I decided to do three climbs, and therefore 6750' up and down. Mentally this is tough. You deprive yourself of the pleasure that a more natural route provides and there are no small climbs or level bits to provide respite. It's either steep up or steep down for four hours or so.

I did it, and was delighted to note that all three splits were similar, 47 mins, 45 mins and 48 mins for each climb. Mentally, that third climb was tough. I'd done a short race and a 2300' brisk fellrun in the days leading up but found that steady climbing didn't seem to be inhibited by those recent efforts. It was a terrific day with some gorgeous views from a fine, high summit.


View to the northern Glyderau


The summit and Carnedd Daffyd beyond.

The rest of the week was very mixed. Tuesday saw a multi-terrain race of 5 miles on Thursaston beach. I ran poorly, no shock after the Trial on Sunday. I'm quite keen to make up for that in the last of the series next week. Weds saw me hit my best time of the year for my Moel Famau *2 run, 1:16, despite a poor run the evening before - odd.

After the big day on thursday, i did a slow up MF on Friday and then rested before doing my first ever triathlon in Nantwich. It was a bit different and my swimming was predictably poor, but i was ok and loved bombing round on the bike. I did the 500m swim, 20k bike and 5km run in 1:19:25. It was a fun experience, even though i was a fish out of water.

So with a race, a triathlon and three fellruns, it's been a mixed week. The good thing is that i'm not injured, didn't drown and i recovered well after a really hard day last sunday to put in a good, tough week. Surely i'm getting stronger?

Week summary

Mon - rest after Mountain Trial
Tues - 5 mile multi terrain race, good start, wheels came off midway and i jogged home heavy legged
Weds - MF run, 1:16 - best time since restarting my training, second fastest time ever (best was set just before BGR, 1:15). 7 miles, 2300'
Thurs - 3 ascents of Penyolewen - 6750'
Fri - 500m swim, MF run, 1200' - slow and steady
Sat - 45 min cycle
Sun - Sprint triathlon, 500m Swim, 20k bike, 5k run - 1:19:26 - such a rookie....

Total - 11,000'ish, no more than 40 miles

Tune in Head - a few this week, including Tiny Dancer (Elton John), She Bangs the Drums (Stone Roses) and, weirdly, the Overture to the Marriage of Figaro which is 100% my mum's fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment